Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My new niece

Today I have a new little neice. She was born to my brother Matt and his wife Kolene this morning at about 8:30, 7lbs. 5 oz. and 20 inches long. She has yet to recieve a name, so for now she's baby girl. I have to wait 3 more weeks before I'll get to see her and hold her for the first time, I can't wait.
Today is also the 6th anniversary of losing my Grandpa Lewis. He was an amazing man and a hard worker. I used to always look at his hands and see how rough they looked and felt. It was proof of the many hours he spend working and helping others, but somehow they we also so gentle and loving. Carson has his hands, maybe they will be just like grandpa's someday.

My boys were so young when he died, Carson 3 1/2 and Ethan 6 months, so they only met him a few times. My grandpa must have made such an impression on Carson and I will tell you why. My grandpa died of Cancer. He had been sick for a little while, but I didn't really discuss it with my kids. I guess I didn't think they were old enought to understand.

Carson climbed on my lap one day and looked at me and asked, "Mom, why does Jesus want Grandpa Lewis to come live with him?" I wasn't sure what to think of his question and didn't really worry too much about it until I recieved a phone call about an hour later from my Dad saying that they didn't think grandpa would make it throught the night. My grandparents lived about 4 hours from us, so we headed up to Idaho and I took Ethan with me and left Carson with Milan. As we were getting off the freeway, Ethan woke up and was fussing, he'd had enough of his carseat. He continued to fuss until we walked into my grandparents house and he saw my grandpa laying on a bed. His eyes lit up and he couldn't stop smiling. I know he knew what was going on.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.


This is the last picture taken of my grandpa. Ethan was meeting grandpa for the first and last time. I love you Grandpa and I miss you.



1 comment:

Arrington said...

Thank you for that post! I never met Grandpa Arrington, but I can see thru his influence on others that he was a great man. It is fun to learn more about him! And .. I can't wait to see you at the family reunion! That will be so great!